If you like the comfort of steaming oats on a cold morning, you will love this version. The little extra effort is well worth it. I love using Goldrush pears for baking and cooking with. They’re sweet, juicy and grown right here in WA. Any other pear (or apple) variety will work too.
I love having the baked pear and candied walnuts served on yoghurt for dessert too.
1 Goldrush pear, sliced
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tbspn maple syrup
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Arrange pear slices over the baking tray and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the maple syrup. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Put the oats, milk and water in a small sauce pan. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 mins until thick and creamy. Stir through the cinnamon.
- Remove the cooked pears from the oven, top the pear slices with the walnuts and drizzle with the remaining maple syrup. Bake for another 5 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls and top with the baked pear and walnuts. Serve immediately.
Sarah Moore is a mum, and university qualified Registered Nutritionist with a decade of experience working with families to improve their health and well-being. Sarah has a simplistic and practical approach to family nutrition and offers workplace nutrition, private consultations and group information sessions in Perth, Western Australia. You can find her on Facebook and Instagram for more healthy tips and tricks.